iOS Backgrounding Techniques
- PDF for offline use
Let us know how you feel about this
Let’s examine the different ways to perform background processing on iOS in more detail.
In the following sections, we will cover how to:
- Register a task to run in the background.
- Register an entire application for backgrounding privileges.
- Update an application's content from the background.
In this guide, we will explore the following iOS features alongside the existing backgrounding options:
- Opportunistic Background Tasks - Preserve battery life by running background tasks in opportunistic chunks when the device is awake for other processing.
- Background Transfer Service - Reliably upload and download files regardless of network status or file size.
- Background Fetch - Refresh an application from the background at system-determined intervals.
- Remote Notifications - Use push notifications to trigger content updates in the background before the user opens the application, with an option to notify the user or update silently.
- Background UI Updates - Prepare the application UI for the user, and update the application's snapshot, all from the background.