- PDF for offline use
Let us know how you feel about this
Xamarin.Forms DataPages were announced at Evolve 2016 and are available as a preview for customers to try and provide feedback.
DataPages provide an API to quickly and easily bind a data source to pre-built views. List items and detail pages will automatically render the data, and can be customized using themes.
To see how the Evolve keynote demo works, check out the getting started guide.
Data sources and the associated data pages allow developers to quickly and easily consume a supported data source and render it using built-in UI scaffolding that can be customized with themes.
DataPages are added to a Xamarin.Forms application by including the Xamarin.Forms.Pages Nuget package.
The Preview has some prebuilt data sources available for use:
- AzureDataSource (separate Nuget)
- AzureEasyTableDataSource (separate Nuget)
See the getting started guide for an example
Pages & Controls
The following pages and controls are included to allow easy binding to the supplied data sources:
- ListDataPage – see the getting started example.
- DirectoryPage – a list with grouping enabled.
- PersonDetailPage – a single data item view customized for a specific object type (a contact entry).
- DataView – a view to expose data from the source in a generic fashion.
- CardView – a styled view that contains an image, title text, and description text.
- HeroImage – an image-rendering view.
- ListItem – a pre-built view with a layout similar to native iOS and Android list items.
See the DataPages controls reference for examples.
Under the Hood
A Xamarin.Forms data source adheres to the
The Xamarin.Forms infrastructure interacts with a data source through the following properties:
Data– a read-only list of data items that can be displayed.
IsLoading– a boolean indicating whether the data is loaded and available for rendering.
[key]– an indexer to retrieve elements.
There are two methods
UnmaskKey that can be used
to hide (or show) data item properties (ie. prevent them from being rendered).
The key corresponds to the a named property on the data item object.