Change the Updates Channel
- PDF for offline use
Let us know how you feel about this
last updated: 2017-03
This recipe illustrates how to change the updates (releases) channel in Xamarin Studio and use the Preview installer for Visual Studio 2017.
- Xamarin Studio and Visual Studio for Mac
- Visual Studio 2017
- Visual Studio 2015 and earlier
Change the Updates Channel in Xamarin Studio and Visual Studio for Mac
Select Check for Updates from the main menu in the top left:
Select the channel you wish to receive updates from:
Change the Updates Channel in Visual Studio 2017
Visual Studio 2017 does not support alpha, beta, and stable channels in the same way as earlier versions. Instead, there are just two options:
- Release – equivalent to the Stable channel on macOS
To try out pre-release features, you should download the Visual Studio Preview installer, which will offer the option to install Preview versions of Visual Studio side-by-side (SxS) with the stable (Release) version. More information is available in the Visual Studio 2017 Preview FAQ.
The Preview version of Visual Studio may include corresponding Preview versions of Xamarin functionality, including:
- Xamarin Visual Studio Extension
- Xamarin Profiler
- Xamarin Workbooks/Inspector
- Xamarin Remote iOS Simulator
The Preview Installer screenshot below shows both Preview and Release options (notice the grey version numbers: version 15.0 is release and version 15.1 is a Preview):
During the installation process, an Installation Nickname can be applied to the side-by-side installation (so they can be distinguished in the Start menu), as shown below:
Uninstalling Visual Studio 2017 Preview
The Visual Studio Installer should also be used to un-install preview versions of Visual Studio 2017. Read the uninstalling Xamarin guide for more information.
Change the Updates Channel in Visual Studio 2015 and earlier
To change the updates channel in Visual Studio, navigate to the Tools menu and select Options:
In the left panel of the Options window, scroll down and open the Xamarin options:
Select Xamarin > Other to open the panel:
From the panel, choose the channel you want to subscribe to, and click Check Now to check for updates:
You many receive the error Could not contact update server., illustrated below, for a number of reasons:
Here are some common solutions to fix this problem:
- Make sure that you have an active connection to the internet.
- There may be endpoints that you need to whitelist on your firewall. Follow the steps in the Firewall Configuration Instructions to make sure that all the correct endpoints have been whitelisted.
- Make sure that you are logged in to your IDE with your Xamarin Account. You may want to try to log out and log back in again.
- Restart your IDE