This is Preview release of MonoTouch that supports the iPhoneOS 4.0 and binds the new iPhoneOS 4.0 Beta 2 APIs.
Detailed changes for this release are only available on your local file system after you install MonoTouch 3.0.1 due to the confidential nature of iPhoneOS 4.0 changes. Once you have MonoTouch 3.0.1 installed, open this file in your local browser for the full details of what new changes MonoTouch introduced:
Keep in mind that this is a preview: this is not a final release for the MonoTouch 3.0 series, this is the first release and should not be used for final production development.
The new APIs in iPhoneOS 4.0 that were introduced a week ago at Apple's iPhoneOS event, the list gathered from public announcements:
- Background application support
- iAd support
- Local notifications
- Game Center support
- Support for enterprise data protection
In addition to the support for iPhoneOS 4.0, this release has a few new features:
- Size reduction:
- Linker updates to reduce executable size
- More fat trimmed from the final executable.
- "Hello world" is 500k slimmer now
- Native support for Objective-C blocks on the binding generator:
- Exposed as C# delegates
- Both lambdas and anonymous methods can be used as blocks
- Standard C# semantics for variable capturing
At this point, MonoTouch 3.0.1 is only available to users that have installed the iPhoneOS 4.0 SDK, see the instructions in our Preview Page.