Profiler Preview 0.9-0
This is the initial preview release of the Xamarin Profiler. The features include:
- Support for launching and profiling iOS (Mac only) and Android applications (Windows & Mac)
- Two instruments - Allocations & Time Profiler
- Summary of allocations with option to see callers and backtrace, as well as sorting and search on Mac
- Call tree for drilling down, with options to separate by thread and invert (supported on Mac only)
- Samples list and call tree for Time Profiler/performance.
- Generations to take and review memory snapshots (supported on Mac only)
- Allocations list with addresses/size/caller info on all allocated objects.
- Support for lightweight integration with Xamarin Studio on Mac and Windows and Visual Studio
- Support for profiling most build configs on Android and Debug build configuration in iOS.
- Support for Android devices and emulators, including Xamarin Android Player.
- Support for iOS Simulator.
This is a preview release and there are definite limitations, including but not limited to:
- Profiling Mac apps is not yet available.
- Limited support for iOS device profiling.
- No official support for profiling Release builds
- Snapshots, call tree sorting not implemented on Windows
- Can't search call tree on Mac or Windows
- Data sets are correct at time of collection but data mining and representation is preliminary. This will improve in future releases.
- Chart drawing is somewhat unstable, especially for allocations
- No support for comparing/seeing delta of snapshots in this version
- Samples list not available on Android
- Live/Dead object status not yet supported - profiler always shows live
We encourage users to get in touch and file bug reports so we can continue to make this tool more useful and more stable.