Visual Studio for Mac 7.1 Release Notes
View the latest Visual Studio for Mac release notes on docs.microsoft.com.
.NET Core 2 support
Visual Studio for Mac supports building .NET Core 2.0 applications, including libraries, console apps, as well as web applications and services with ASP.NET Core.
Note that the .NET Core 2.0 SDK needs to be installed via a separate download to enable .NET Core 2.0 development in Visual Studio 2017 for Mac Version 7.1. You can get it at www.dot.net/core. Visual Studio enables side-by-side support of multiple .NET Core SDKs. This also means you can experiment with the latest daily build of the .NET Core SDK, while also developing with the latest public releases.
iOS signing workflow updates
This release introduces the ability to create required signing artifacts for iOS and tvOS apps. With Visual Studio for Mac, it's possible to:
- Create new signing identities and install them to the local Keychain
- Create new Provisioning Profiles
- Add a new signing identity to an existing profile
- Provision new devices: register a device in the Apple Developer Portal and add them to a provisioning profile
To try out these new signing features right-click on your project and browse to Options > iOS Bundle Signing.
Using the Signing Identity section
For a signing must satisfy the following criteria:
- Displayed on Apple Developer Portal in "Certificates" section (not revoked)
- Issued for selected team/developer
- Both certificate and private key should be installed in local Keychain
- Certificate should not be expired
Use Create signing identity... option of the dropdown if no identities are available on your current machine.
Using the Provisioning Profile section
In order to be shown in the "Provisioning Profile" drop-down profile must satisfy the following criteria:
- Not expired
- Valid (include registered devices and valid certificates)
- Match current distribution type (Debug or Release based on switches at the top)
- Match bundle identifier. Wild card profiles with a matching pattern will be also displayed in this list.
Use "Create provisioning profile..." item of the dropdown if no profiles were found.
If you need to switch back to the previous version of signing controls, and set the provisioning profile and signing identity manually, set the team to None. New signing controls will be replaced with old ones. However, we strongly encourage you to try new functionality and provide us with feedback in case of any problems.
- Provisioning profiles created in Visual Studio for Mac will not take into account entitlements selected in your projects (Entitlements.plist). This functionality will be added in future versions of the IDE.
- Distribution provisioning profiles by default will target App Store. In House or Ad Hoc profiles should be created manually.